The Controller will report to the Chief Financial Office or other Senior Level Management as required. You will be responsible for the accounting operations of the company and all its subsidiary corporations to ensure the efficient handling of day-to-day accounting transactions, cash management and risk management in a high financial transparency environment. This includes production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of accounting records and associated systems, and production of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk.
Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Manage all aspects of the corporate and project accounting operations including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and statutory reporting;
- Formulate financial strategies resulting in short- and long-term plans for the finance department; calculate and issue financial and operating metrics;
- Create, modify or amend policy, procedures and accounting controls required for daily operations and production of accurate and timely financial records and statements to ensure accounting activities are in accordance with legal, regulatory and company policies and procedures; discuss and review strategy, policy deployment, and key operational issues with Senior Level Management;
- Maintain a system of controls and monitor day-to-day transactions and conduct full cycle accounting including complete and timely financial statement preparation, financial reporting and entries onto the GL, schedules and audit working papers for year-end and quarterly financials;
- Proactively advise and support management regarding financial decisions and provide regular status updates;
- Prepare and analyze cash-flow projections and prepare budgets;
- Prepare and complete month end reconciliation process; manage AP/AR and billing;
- Review and oversee the preparation of bank draws and proformas for projects;
- Process journal entries and prepare and file GST/PST and WCB remittances; Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings;
- Maintain comprehensive capital assets schedule;
- Prepare corporate annual report;
- Lead and mentor junior accountants and administrators as required;
- Prepare monthly variance analysis for P&L items and for all balance sheet items; report significant discrepancies to Senior Level Management;
- Maintain key relationships with banks and lenders; coordinate with external accountants and auditors as required; and
- Conduct ad hoc financial analyses as required by Senior Level Management as required.
- Expertise in accounting and financial principles and governance (ASPE, AcSB, IFRS, and PSAB);
- In-depth knowledge of financial reporting;
- Solid understanding and experience with raw and finished production inventory;
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office Suite, ERP systems, financial and reporting tools;
- Sound business acumen;
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written), presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Proven effective consulting skills with an ability to deliver results and drive impact;
- Highly proficient in the preparation of financial reports and financials statements as well as oversight of external review processes;
- Strong leadership, management and coaching skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and maintain an organized and efficient workload while managing multiple parallel activities;
- Ability to thrive in a high-volume environment and work effectively with company leaders and cross-functional teams;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities;
Other Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration;
- CPA Designation required;
- 5+ years of progressive leadership experience in full cycle accounting and previous experience as a Controller; professional experience in the cannabis industry considered a strong asset;
- Demonstrated focus and consistent performance;
- Strong experience in both private and publicly held companies; and
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment; adaptable and flexible.
Ascent Industries values a diverse workforce and encourages all interested applicants to apply. Those candidates whose skills and qualifications fit the role requirements will be further considered and contacted. Candidates chosen for employment will be required to undergo background and reference checks.
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with Ascent Industries!